Dear Andy McNab,
Today is your 50th birthday, and your supporters here at GML know full well how hitting the half-century mark can be a bit depressing (not really, we’re way younger than you, but we have empathy). We hope to lift your spirits a bit by celebrating Ten Things Andy McNab has Accomplished that Most People Only Dream Of:
- Got badged, joining the elite SAS (despite being acknowledged as “gobby” by staff).
- Traveled the world (or as rumour has it, “shagged his way across the globe”).
- Had a successful marriage (seven or eight of them, in fact!).
- Learned a foreign language (knows the Iraqi words for “stop, please!,” “I know nothing,” and “is this taxi taken?”).
- Jumped out of an airplane, repeatedly. (a career in RGJ made him a welcome addition to Air Troop).
- Ran a marathon (a few of them, actually. Back to back to back. With 100 pounds of equipment. While being chased).
- Wrote a successful book.
- Received cheques(s) for book, decided to write more.
- Received those cheques, decided to become a franchise.
- And finally, Andy McNab became the #1 ex-S.A.S. writer/television host/future Celebrity Big Brother star in the history of ex-S.A.S. writers/television hosts/Celebrity Big Brother stars!
Well done, Andy! We’re looking forward to seeing what the next 50 years will bring (Nick Stone vs. Mega Shark?).
Fans, add your birthday wishes to Andy in the comment field below and we’ll be sure he gets your greetings.
Andy McNab's Dropzone
Ethan Blake is seventeen and desperate to escape from his dead-end life. When he sees someone B.A.S.E. jump from the top of his block of flats, it changes the way he sees the world for ever. Soon, Ethan is caught up in the adrenaline-fuelled world of skydiving. He’s a natural, so it’s no surprise when he’s invited to join an elite skydive team, but is he signing up for more than just jumping out of planes? The team’s involved in covert military operations – missions that require a special kind of guts, missions so secret even MI5 denies all knowledge.
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Doubleday & Co Inc. (4 Feb 2010)
By Richard Eden
Published: 19 Dec 2009
Kevin Spacey and SAS author Andy McNab form an unlikely partnership.
At first glance, they are unlikely allies: Kevin Spacey, the darling of theatreland, and Andy McNab, the rugged SAS hero turned best-selling author.
But Mandrake spotted the two men, accompanied by McNab’s wife, Jenny, last week at a restaurant in London next to the Old Vic theatre, of which the Hollywood star is artistic director.
The pair are, I can disclose, involved in a joint project for the new year. The star of The Usual Suspects is to stage McNab’s debut play, Last Night, Another Soldier.
Written for BBC Radio 4, it tells the moving story of an 18-year-old soldier going to war for the first time, in Afghanistan.
McNab certainly knows his stuff: he was Britain’s most decorated serving soldier when he left the Army in 1993.
Source: The Telegraph
Andy McNab was among the attendees at Prince Charles’ Millies award gala, along with “Super Army Soldier” Ross Kemp, Jeremy Clarkson, the dude next to Jeremy Clarkson, some old geezers, and two women. See if you can spot Andy in the picture.
Andy McNab with Prince Charles
Read more about the gala in The Sun.
This was in The Mail on Sunday, sent to us by Ali. Thanks!!!